Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Situation by the road in India

nHere is a typical situation when I feel hungry or thirsty or just need a rest and want to stop at a shop, stall, “restaurant” or something else by the road.

I turn off the main road. When I’m heading against the people they look at me as if I was from another planet. Nobody says anything.

Me: Kemcho (means hello in the local language. Most of the people smile or laugh because they are surprised that I know something from their language).

Normally there is one person who knows English, lets call him Jignesh. People from all around are coming and form a half circle around me. Typically 20 persons.

Jignesh: *Smiling* Your country? (the conversations are mainly all about keywords and repeating).
Me: Sweden
Jignesh: Ah, Switzerland
Me: No, Sweden. Sweden.
Jignesh: Sweden (looks confused because he has never heard of it).
Me: Europe. North Europe.
Jignesh: Aaah, Europe (explains to everyone around that I am from Europe. They all nod curiosly).
Jignesh: Which journey? (where I am going).
Me: Dwarka to Kolkata.
Jignesh: By bicycle???
Me: Yes,yes. Only bicycle.
Jignesh: No motorcycle?
Me: Bicycle, bicycle. (I touch my leg muscles and say “petrol, petrol”. Same joke everywhere but it makes everyone laugh).

People start to look at my bicycle. They are particularly impressed by the bicycle computer and the gears. They always press the tires to feel the pressure. Some children touch the gears.

Me: No touching (they all get a little scared and the parents try to be educated and tell their children to go away, even though they would love to touch it themselves).
Jignesh: How much money? Rupees? (Wants to know the price of the bicycle in Indian currency).
Me: I don’t know. I don’t know. (They get a little disappointed).
Jignesh: You service? (means what I do back home).
Me: Student. Engineering.
Jignesh: Aah, Engineering (explains to the crowd).
Jignesh: Your father’s business?
Me: Volvo, Volvo.
Jignesh: Aaah, Volvo. (most of them know Volvo. Nobody asks about mother’s business).

I start to eat and they ask sporadic questions, still standing in a half circle around me. If new people come everyone explains at the same time what they have understood. When I start to get full or had enough rest it is time to go.

Me: Let’s go. Kolkata! (pointing with the hand in the direction of Kolkata.
Crowd: Kolkata, Kolkata!!!
Me: Aucho (means goodbye in the language of the province. The whole crowd starts to laugh and says goodbye back).

Then I set off and they follow me with their eyes until I am out of sight. That was most probably the event of the day in that place.

7 comments:

  1. Which other cities are you going to touch in India?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i ve heard from a friend who lives in india now that peoplpe there do not like walking!! they use cars or smthg else. it seemed very weird to me. but maybe it was a custom only in the place she used to live back then. now she's in Delhi :P fell in love with an indian guy and maybe they will get married :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice story Viktor. Keep making advertising for Volvo. Keep tight. /Vitja

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi viktor, i am scarlett Johanson,

    so you travel with stephane antoine!...
    what a man he is.....
    do you have his email adress, i would lke to meet him, he seems to be sooo strong.
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Viktor...gud to see ur gujarat experience on blog....but i guess only person with gud english you found was Jignesh (me)...but it seems you like my name to represent whole india...so its gud.. u will remember me...

    Hope you had gud time with me at rajkot...Have fun all way accross India...

    Cheers..

    Jignesh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very funny :D [Touching the gears and checking tire pressure...haha]

    ReplyDelete