Saturday, November 7, 2009

I have now cycled approx one week and 700km in India and it very,very different to anything else. Traffic is crazy, people stare me out, problems with the bicycle, bad roads. But I'm moving forward and mostly I enjoy.


A lot of animals on the roads. Here camel bastards. Almost hit one when he didn't keep a straight line. Today a big monkey crossed the road right in front of me. I got extremely scared.

All kinds of animals.

In this village I sat down to eat something waiting for my bicycle to get fixed. They all formed a half circle around me and just starred at me. If I did something, for example took the water bottle from my bag, they all started to talk or whisper to each other. The problem with the bicycle is that One spoke on the back tire is broken. I have now tried 10 repair shops and nobody can replace the spoke, so now I have ridden around 500km with a spoke less. I hope not another one brakes.

I came into a city which I guess had never seen a tourist or something. The major welcomed me to the city and the local newspaper was there and took the same picture as above. They were gonna write about the crazy cyclist. The major showed me the nicest hotel in town and let me stay for free. Then he took me around to the important people of the city - the police officer, the head doctor etc. Felt like a king.

Cool man.

In the quite big city Jamnagar I stayed with Kristian for one night, a Swedish guy from Uppsala! He studies Indian medicine over there. Wow, it was so nice to get away from all the attention. We ate pancakes and met many of his friends. I felt like home. It was hard to leave :)


I was hesitating alot before putting this picture but anyway. At Kristian's place, without thinking I drank one glass of tap water, which I told him. He said "You have to throw it up, otherwise it is very likely you will be in bed for several days". Well, terrified I filled my stomach with clean water, put the fingers in the throat and up it went. It seemed to work cause I felt good the day after. Horrible experience.


Eating Indian food with couchsurfer Jignesh and his family.

Protecting myself in gayly fashion against the malaria mosquitoes.


Sometimes I stop at those kind of places by the road, to get some shadow, drink and food. Doesn't seem like so much is going on in their lives unfortunately.


On the door to enter a restaurant. They have humor in India obviously!


Funny machine?


Motorcyclists gave me a flag! Now I have placed it on the side so that trucks dont run into me.


A lot of women carry stuff.

Viktor Predan

3 comments:

  1. Kul att läsa om resten av Indien resan. Skrev en kort rad om den på min weblog http://frisk.ax
    Snodde din bild. Hoppas det är oki :)
    När du kommer ut ur Gujarat så testa byta öppningsfras till Namaste, me Viktor huu. Eller nått i den stilen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...now i get it why you needed a spare bicycle to make it through. I am surprised you weren't able to fix the spokes. I need to take note from you experience. Maybe carry few extra spokes on a long trip.

    Glad you made it over 500 km with the Atlas. Those are some really heavy bicycles :D

    Do you still own your Atlas bike?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Viktor
    I'm planning a similar trip in a few months.
    I'd really appreciate if you can help with the total belongings with which I should start my journey. This includes the attire, belongings, eatables, accessories etc. Also is keeping a portable tent and tenting outside for few nights is a good idea ?

    ReplyDelete